Monday, October 15, 2012

Dealing with Food Allergies

As most everyone who has any experience can tell you, I have many food allergies and sensitivities, that I sometimes neglect to pay attention to, but that I am very aware of, and are a great source of discomfort for me.  I believe they are a main source of my hormonal fluctuations, and acne.  I have tried everything, I do yoga, I do cleanses, I wash my face, I use moisturizer, I try to eat foods that are good for my gut etc, etc. It has always seemed to me that my sensitive system has just gotten worse with all my efforts. 

Well my friends I am happy to report I am trying something new to heal my gut, and heal my food sensitivities, and hopefully, vanquish acne to some extent.  What is it I am doing.... well acupuncture of course.  I was introduced to a woman named Shelley Laurey.  She works part time in Hawaii, and part time in Oregon.  I thought this was a nice touch, as she knows about the environment I am coming from.  She is also an OCOM graduate! So, she knows about the environment I am now in.  She has been an Acupuncturist for 35 years, and she deals specifically with food allergies! I am very excited about this new prospect, and optimistic for a positive outcome.  Here is how it works: Shelly listened to what I had to say, then looked over my body for tell tale signs.  She did some muscle reflexology as was able to determine that I have leaky gut syndrome, and parasites.  This is causing me to build up food sensitivities that become increasingly aggressive as my leaky gut persists.  We determined that I have a sensitivity to Gluten, and Corn, and an allergy to Eggs, and Dairy ( which I already knew from my last allergy test). She has me on an herbal supplement for the parasites which she says many girls in Hawaii have, from all the sushi we eat there.  We are working on fixing me all up with a few acupuncture sessions.  As many of you can imagine, this sounds much better than just never eating dairy, eggs, gluten, etc. again.  Of course once I have done all this healing I have to be proactive and not mess up my gut again, but I am a pretty healthy person anyway so that should not be such a problem.  I will report back in a few months with my progress!

As far as school goes, I am learning a lot.  Traditional Chinese Medicine Theory is kicking my butt, and living anatomy is a lot of memorization, but I am loving every minute of it.  I am so happy I have made this investment in myself, and I really feel this is a wonderful fit for me. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment